Friday 4 December 2015

Joe - Saturday, 4th December 1915

Dear Aunt,

Just a few lines to let you know how I am going on.  I  received those milk tablets you sent me and thanks for the same.  I heard from home about Uncle Willie's knee being bad, and trust it is better by this.  I suppose May has been helping to take the milk round.  Fergie seems to be having a rough time with colds and one thing and another. 

We just came out of the trenches yesterday and Jack Shardlow was wounded in the thigh when we were changing over.  He is a Sergeant.  We had a lively experience the night before we came out.  The Germans blew up one of their mines on the right and it fairly made the ground shake.  It was thought they were going to attack, and we all had to stand to, and there was some heavy machine gun and rifle fire for about 20 minutes.  I think (censored) men were buried by the explosion, but I think there were only (---) missing when we came out; the others were dug out, and they were all alive, some were wounded but I think the majority were unhurt.  They were out of (censored). 

I was sorry to hear of Mr Yeowart's death, he would be a good age.  It is a great pity about W. Burney's death.  I knew A. Cowan very well and was sorry to hear of his wound.  Hoping all are well.

Love to all Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment