Saturday 5 December 2015

Billie - Sunday 5th December 1915

Dear Sarah,

Just a line to let you know I am still all right.  I received the parcel safely in splendid condition and was pleased with the contents.  The body belt is a fine fit.  I like it even better than last.  I am writing to the Spirella people to thank them for it tomorrow. 

We are having a pretty stiff time of it again.  We are in the trenches for 8 days and oh, the mud and water - too awful for words.  We are waist deep in places and it is still raining hard, and looks as though it is going to continue.  I don't know what we will do if it gets any worse.  I think we will have to evacuate the front line as it is more than flesh and blood can stand.  Ever so many chaps have been carried out to the hospital. 

The Manchesters had a rare breaking in for their instruction.  They came in looking spick and span with all new equipment and rifles, but Oh when they came out - mud from head to foot, and they even had to wash their rifles in a small pool just beside where we were.  It was awful to see them.  However there is one thing and that is, I've never felt better in my life.  I just take these things as they come, and take the usual precautions, and I think it is the best. 

I had a letter from Joe a day or two ago, and he seems to be in good health and spirits.  I was pleased to hear all are feeling much better at home.  I received Janey's and your letter, but we have had no post in or out for 4 days so all the chaps were not half down in the mouth.  It is surprising how the post cheers one up.  I received all the papers and the ones Jennie sends too and I quite look forward to them as I read the stories in them. 

Well I think this is all the news, so must close.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

Hope all are well at Beehive, Catherine Street and Greenwell House.  Sorry to hear poor old Gus has the croup.  I hope he is much better by this.  I was surprised to hear Mr Yeowart was dead.  The weather seems to be going to take up again and looks quite bright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment