Tuesday 1 December 2015

Joe - Wednesday 1st December

"PALS"

Dear Sarah,

I would have written before to thank you for that parcel Jess and you sent, but thought it was no use writing two letters home at the same time.  The writing pad that came in my last parcel is just the thing for out here. 

I got the Whitehaven News you sent me to day and I noticed a piece in about W. Burney being wounded.  Well the poor lad has died of wounds.  I think blood poisoning set in.  I can tell you we all got a shock because Billie was a great favourite, as nice a lad as a chap could meet.  I also noticed about Arthur Goodall being wounded. 

I am expecting to see John soon.  Well I think our leaves start on the 25th or 26th so we will be lucky to get a leave so soon.  Did Aunt Joan get her letter as no one mentioned it?  I will write to Aunts Sally and Eliza tomorrow so I won't have favoured one and not another.  I wrote to Aunt Joan first because she was ill.  Tell them at home not to send any more pocket stoves as they only boil one pint of water and then are finished.  We got no mail yesterday, but I heard something about a boat being sunk (don't know for sure if it's true) so if any letters were sent from home I might not get them.  I have not had any letters since I got the parcel. 

Well I've no more news so must close.  Hope all at home are well.  Remember me to all the girls and Millie. 

With love to all Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment