Thursday 17 December 2015

Billie - Friday 17th December 1915

Dear Sarah,

Just a line to let you know I am all right and out of the trenches again.  We go in again on Sunday and we will be again for Christmas day.  There will be no doings the same as last year, and we have had orders read out telling us we have to shoot all Germans we see, and we have not to exchange greetings with them. 

The weather now is still very cold and wet.  They've given us a bit easier time lately - I mean this time out.  It is just as well we have received a little consideration, or I'm afraid the whole Battalion would soon have been crocked in a short time. 

Many thanks for all the letters I've received these last few days, also for the parcel I received on Monday.  I'd a small parcel on Monday from the firm containing toffee and coco au lait, and on Wednesday I'd a large Christmas parcel from them containing a large cake, chocolate, a large tin of mints, soap, bonbons and one or two other little things so you will see it was jolly good of them.  I'm writing to thank them tomorrow.  I'm afraid I won't be able to send you any Christmas cards as we can't get any at the hut.  I will try my best to get one for Mother.  At any rate we are allowed to put a Christmas Greeting on the field post cards so I'll send you all one.  I'm pleased to hear all at home are well. 

Cobbo went on leave a fortnight ago and has not returned, so they've got his desertion papers out against him so I pity him.  He had an easy time at the bombing school, and never went in the trenches, so goodness only knows what he would have done if he'd been in with us. 

Well I think this is all the news.  There is a rumour here that we are going back for a rest on 7th January and after a good rest rumour has it, that we go to Serbia, but of course we take all rumours with a grain of salt.  Remember me to all relatives and friends.  I hope you all have a good time at home hoping you are well as this leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment