Monday 7 December 2015

John - Tuesday 7th December 1915

Dear Sarah,

Thanks very much for letter.  I was pleased to hear Mother is keeping better.  I am writing this in a cosy little corner near our work.  We have got a nice fire on, the worst of it is the smoke keeps blowing in my eyes.  There is a fairly strong wind blowing and we have had rather rough weather for the last few days but we are well prepared for it now when it comes, as we have big boots.  It is impossible to get our feet wet - thank goodness. 

You can tell Mother that I do not need any bread sent out now, as we get a fairly decent supply and we can buy more and now that the weight of our parcels has been reduced you'll need a bit of considering to keep down the weight.  I don't think there is much chance of me being home by Christmas now.  I am quite resigned to stopping over then.  Of course there is a chance of things like that happening unexpectedly.  I think it will come when I least expect.  I'm not in any hurry, but it will be a welcome relief to be home once more.  My parcels have been delayed this week, evidently on account of the Christmas rush.  I saw from the paper that S. Burnyeat has enlisted; has Tom yet?  I've just had a new rig out today even to a great coat, so I am all right now. 

We are having a Sergeants' Mess put up here, so it will be all right for Christmas.  I'm on the committee.  We will make it fairly comfy and shall manage all right then.  I had a letter from Mr Cooper the other day, they are always anxious to hear from me at school.  You needn't send me London Opinion or Passing Show, I have them regularly from Birmingham; I always forgot to tell you. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment