Tuesday 15 December 2015

Joe - Wednesday, 15th December 1915

Pals at Bizot

Dear Janey,

I received you letter but don't know whether my parcel has landed or not because I have been sent down to a Machine Gun School about 40 miles behind the line.  I was sent down with three others last Sunday, just a day before we were to be relieved.  It is quite a treat to get to a place where we can roam about a bit.  I met two chaps out of the West Cumberland Yeomanry; one of them lived in Whitehaven and the other worked there before the war.  I will be getting all my letters &c when I get back. 

I received a parcel from Mrs Nixon (Ghyll Bank) wishing me a Merry Christmas.  It was a lovely parcel and I do think it was awfully kind of them and it came as such a surprise. 

I am down here for 6 days.  We are in a sort of convent or monastery and it's a fine place; it's just like some big cathedral to look at from the outside.  We had about 5 hours run in a motorbus, it used to be one that plied between Waterloo and Euston. 

I expect this finds you all at home well.  I wrote to Carlisle when I was in the trenches.  Well I must close.  With love to all J

No comments:

Post a Comment