Wednesday 9 December 2015

Billie - Thursday 9th December 1915

Dear Janey,

Just a line to let you know I am still feeling in the pink.  Many thanks for parcel which I received on Tuesday in splendid condition, also your letter along with Sarah's.  I'm pleased to hear all are well at home. 

We are back in the trenches again and then we go into a village 3 miles behind the line for 8 days of Army's rest.  The trenches are in a terrible state again - mud and water up to our waists and it is still raining, so you can guess we will not be sorry when our spell is up.  Both sides are very busy now and we are kept going.  They have fairly been dropping some of their Minewerfers about and I can tell you we do not relish these things.  We will be in the trenches for Christmas Day and relieved on Boxing Day so we will have a chance of seeing if there are any doings like last year and I pity them is they try to make peace with us, as we don't intend having any of their swank. 

I had a lovely parcel from Mrs Nixon, Ghyll Bank, last night, wishing me a merry Christmas.  It was a jolly fine parcel and in fine condition, I think it was awfully good of them, don't you?  And it came as such a surprise.  I am writing to thank them all. 

We have some of the Manchesters in with us again for instruction, and they seem a fairly decent lot of men, but nothing like as big or fine looking as the Irish.  It is very good of Uncle Tom going to send me those skin socks.  They will come in jolly handy.  I will write to him when they arrive. 

Poor old Togo has had a nasty accident with a rifle grenade.  He is a bomb instructor at the chateau and one of those bombs burst and fractured his ankle in about six places.  It is to be hoped he has not got to have his foot off. 

Well cheer oh.  I must go on duty now.  Did Pater receive the birthday card I sent it was the only one I could get?  Remember me to Thompson's father and John K. also to all relatives and friends.  Hoping all at home are in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment