Sunday 6 December 2015

Joe - Monday, 6th December 1915

Dear Mother,

I was pleased to hear you are much better.  I did not receive my parcel yesterday so am expecting it today.  We are having rotten weather - heavy rain most of the time and the ground is in a terrible state.  Jack Wattleworth was wounded below the right eye or left I'm not sure which, but I don't think it is very serious.  He was hit by a piece of shell, also a chap called Robinson from Parton was wounded in the head by the same shell.  His is a very serious wound. 

You can send me another pair of socks now. 

7th December

I did not get my parcel yesterday, so perhaps it has gone astray, as you would likely post it on the usual day.  I think there has been a big do on at Whitehaven.  I heard of another Whitehaven chap of Kells getting the V.C.  We go in the trenches tomorrow for 5 days - well I do 3 days in and 2 at Headquarters. 

Oh my parcel has just arrived, that photograph is very like Billie, but that dug out he is lying in is built on the ground while I fancy the ones Billie is in were dug deep down in the ground.  You can please send me some more candles in my next parcel also I do want those pocket stoves as usual as we have got a little kettle and it boils water on a stove quickly.  Well I must close as I'm writing this pretty much in the dark.  Hoping this finds all at home well. 

With love to all Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment