Thursday 24 December 2015

Billie - Christmas Eve, Friday 24th December 1915

Dear Mother,

Very many thanks for the two parcels I received in fine condition on the 22nd.  Also thanks Janey, Sarah and Hess for their surprise parcel (the big stocking) which came last night in grand condition.  It was quite a treat going through the parcels and finding so many nice things.  We had my duck for dinner today as it was bully beef day, so thought we would have a decent meal while we had the chance.  Nipper Flear had some peas sent, so we had duck and peas and finished off with my plum pudding and sauce. 

I don't know what we would have done if it had not been for the parcels, as they were the only things we had to cheer us up.  The weather is the worst we have ever had and we have had the worst time in the trenches since we've been out here.  We had our splash up dinner in a dug out in a foot of water, but in spite of that we all enjoyed it. 

I had to leave off writing this letter last night to go on sentry so will try and finish it today Christmas Day.  The line has been very active all this spell in, and today the artillery are going to have a little revenge for what they did to us yesterday.  The weather is still jolly rotten, and the trenches are waist deep in mud and water, and you can get a sail on the trenches boards up the trench.  There are no peace terms with us after the affair yesterday and the line is more active than I've seen it for some days.  I have just had all your photographs out and having a look at them, and trying to imagine that I am home for Christmas, but it takes some doing I can tell you. 

There is a rumour out that we are being relieved on 8th January so we are all hoping that it is right as we will not be sorry to leave here.  It is hard to imagine that it is Christmas, but still we are all very cheerful in spite of the fact.  I've just received your registered letter - thanks very much for the money.  Kindly thank Uncle Tom for the socks I will write to him in a few days.  Also thank all for the numerous cards. 

Well cheer oh, hope you received the cards I sent.  I'm counting the weeks now before I get my leave - about the end of March or the beginning of April the way things are.  I got the button out of my Christmas cake.  Well I think this is all, so must close.  Hoping all at home are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving son Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment