Thursday 2 July 2015

Billie - Friday 2nd July 1915

Dear Jess,

Many thanks to Sarah and yourself for the lovely parcels which arrived in splendid condition.  We are still out of the trenches resting although we are employed all day long bayonet fighting &c.  We paraded at 7.30 this morning for a bath and we have just got back 10.30. 

The weather has been very changeable here, hot and wet.  We had the bath 10 yards from the shaft of a coal pit and the bath belonged to the company.  It was a fine bath and we enjoyed it.  We expect to be moved up anytime now.  Pleased to hear all are well and hope you are still so.  We are going to see the Frenchman again.  We had a concert out in the other night and they would have me to sing, so I gave them the song "Until". 

Sorry to hear John's wound is not healing well, but you can rest assured it is not a poisoned bullet, as they don't use them in machine guns. 

Well I think this is all at present.  Thank Aunt Sally for her letter and tell her I'll write as soon as I've time.  You were right in guessing our position on the line, but we were further up and nearer to Hill 60 than you thought, before we made our first move.  All leaves have been stopped so I am afraid that there is no chance at all. 

Hoping all are well, as I'm still in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment