Saturday 18 July 2015

John - Sunday 18th July 1915

Dear Janey,

I received the parcel safely also Jess's letter and P.O.  It did not take them long to come. 

We are going up the line sometime this week.  They have made a Battn. out of these reinforcements to go up for trench digging but not to go in the trenches and they have included us.  Of course it will be a bit rotten but it will be better than staying here.  We have no idea where or when we go.  I expect we shall be some miles behind the lines so there is no need for Mother to worry about me.  I hear that our lot are going on this job too so it's just as broad as it's long. 

I hope that Mother is going on all right, she must not worry about us, she must go away for a holiday - it would do her no end of good.  I think you are quite right in suggesting it. 

My new address will be 9th Platoon, C Company, 1 Battn 48th (Sout Mid) Division at present 18th Camp Havre.  I shall let you know when we move, so you needn't send me any more parcels until I send you word definitely.  I've not heard anything of my parcel from School so I expect it's "gone west". 

I expect to hear that Mother is heaps better and out of bed next time you write us.  It upsets us very much out here to think she is ill.  I don't know when I shall see Billie again but I hope it will not be long until I'm with all the boys again - you can rest assured that he is having a good time, I would give anything to be back with them all again. 

The officer in charge of us here is one of our Company officers who had been home wounded (lucky beggar) so you see there is one redeeming feature in it. 

Fancy the Mill men going on strike, they should send them all out here and they would soon give anything to get back, I know, same with the Welsh colliers.  I must close now for the present I shall let you know when we are moving. 

Love to all at home John

No comments:

Post a Comment