Monday 6 July 2015

John - Tuesday 6th July 1915

Base Details,
18th Camp, Havre.

Dear Janey & Thompson,

Thank you both for your letters and the enclosed.  I fairly did have a stock to read on Sunday.  I am pleased to say I am all right now and hope to go up the line sometime this week.  Of course we don't know definitely that we shall got this week.  In fact there is a rumour that we are staying here for another few weeks.  I hear that our lot are busy hay- and road-making so they will not require our services for that if true.  They have moved further south so I was told to La Bassee by one of our Lieuts. who came to take us up. 

The weather here is simply scorching, heaps warmer than I have ever experienced it in England.  It will be jolly hot travelling especially seeing it will take us about 48 hours to get to our new destination.  I am expecting to get a leave fairly soon, there are not many who have got more than 5 years service in with the Batt.  When I get mine I think Billie will get his.  Of course they might consider that I have had enough leave down here but it was not my fault that I am here. 

I've had one of my teeth filled but I want a few front ones filling, the dentist said I should have them done soon but he could not do them for me.  Perhaps I shall get them done when my leave comes. 

I must close now as it is time for Parade.  Hoping all are well. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment