Wednesday 22 July 2015

Billie - Thursday 22nd July 1915

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for the letter received a few weeks ago, also thank Mother for the parcel received 2 days ago. 

You would no doubt be surprised at not hearing from me for a few days but never be alarmed in cases like this.  We had the post stopped for over a week and were only allowed to send field postcards. 
We have moved again and are now in amongst the French.  We are the first British troops to be out here at all.  We relieved the French last night and they were pleased when we came into the trenches.  The enemy are just about 150 yards away.  These trenches we are in were taken from the Germans about the middle of June and I should think they will have some more taken from them before very long. 

The French people in this district are very poor and you can scarcely buy anything in the village.  We are not very far away from the part of the French line where all the heavy fighting has been going on.  We were once in the trenches where cousin Joe was wounded. 

So sorry to hear that Mother has been so ill and hope that she has a good rest and will soon be all right again.  I was pleased to hear that Joe is going on all right and is still in England.  How is our John getting on?  I've not had any letters from him lately. 

You might thank Mrs Mayne and Willie for the cake and cigarettes - it was jolly kind of them.  I will send them cards as soon as we can get some.  We have four days' post coming in tonight so I will get some news in that. 

The dug-outs here are awful little wee places.  You've got to pack yourself up to get in them at all and they are wretched for sleeping in. 

I think this is all for the present.  Don't send me anything in the clothing line until I let you know.  You might send me a camphor bag as this one is done for.  Hope you get the flags I'm enclosing.  Hoping that all at home are well also all at Greenwell House, Catherine St and George Street are well.  Kindly remember me to Thompson's father ... is keeping fit. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment