Saturday 4 July 2015

Billie - Sunday 4th July 1915

Dear Mater,

Many thanks for the letters, parcels and papers which I received.  I expect you will have heard from John by this.  I think he must have been moved to England. 

We are having a pretty good time here resting although we have 8 hours' drill every day and they have arranged for a route march every day at the hottest part of the day and each time we have been out yet our officer has got lost and kept us out about 2 hours after our time; but still this is merely a detail but it is not very nice.  Pleased to hear all received the picture P.C.s. 

We are just going to see the Frenchman again; he is a fine sport and gives us lettuce every night for supper.  I would not mind having a few War Loans as I think they are all right. 

We have not had a change of underclothing for 5 weeks.  You might send me a pair of fairly thin socks now, also one of my cotton shirts, as mine is out getting the perspiration dried out of it, and have to wear my jersey until it dries.  It is one of those white cotton ones with black stripes, at least it was but you ought to see it now - all torn and as black as can be.  I dare not wash it or it would fall in bits, and we don't know when we will get a change.  Don't send me a new one, but be sure it is a thin one. 

The heat is too awful for words.  I like the notepaper you sent last it comes in handy.  We have an easy day today; church parade at 3 service in a field, and then we are finished. 

Well I think I've given you all the news so must close.  Hoping all at home are quite well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving son Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment