Wednesday 29 July 2015

Billie - Thursday 29th July 1915

Dear Mother,

Just a line to let you know I am all right.  Thank Sarah for her letters.  I cannot understand why you were so long in hearing from me but of course for 5 days we could not write as we were on the move, but I wrote as soon as I got in the trenches.  I am hoping you are about well again. 

I had letters from John and Joe yesterday.  You should get our John's code off Billie and I will work it and tell you where we are.  I suppose Jess is away, lucky beggar. 

The weather today is scorching hot so we are all taking the sun and look in the pink of condition.  You might send a pack of cards in the next parcel.  Our section had photos taken by a French Officer and he promised to let us have some.  He said he would send them on to our officer when finished and we've spoken to our officer and he says he will look our for them for us. 

I had an aluminium ring given me by a French soldier.  They make them in the trenches out of pieces of shells.  If you put a small box in the next parcel I will send it on.  Some of the French Tommies make all their rings.  I saw a nice signet this morning but the chap wanted 2 francs for it but we told him it was too much.  You can get Uncle Tom to touch this on up a bit as the Frenchman hadn't time.  I think this is all for the present so must close. 

Hoping all are well, give my love to all.  I trust you are much better. 

Your loving son Billie. 

Cheer up - we'll soon be home.  I think a year ago today we were at Braystones as I was home for the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment