Tuesday 14 July 2015

John - Wednesday 14th July 1915

Le Havre

Dear Mother,

I was awfully sorry to hear that you are not better yet.  You must not worry about us out here. 
Billie is not in the trenches again and there is a rumour that they are going to be kept in reserve now that Kitchener's Army is out.  I can't say how long we shall be here.  A number of officers came out this week, and went up the line yesterday so it looks as if we are here for some time yet.  I am quite fit and ready to go back anytime. 

I received Sarah's letter and P.O., also your parcel.  I can't understand how it is my letters and parcels all go up the line.  They evidently do not notice the Base Address.  I had a parcel sent from School, by train and so far I have heard nothing about it.  I had a parcel from my class at school; it had been up to Rouen. 

I'm having a good time here parading the sick every morning so I'm all right while here.  I went on parade once but did not see the joke of going through all the training again.  I don't mind going back to the line but I do mind doing all the drill over again.  I saw the Sergt Major who gave me this job.  I have a nice time now.  We give the cooks an occasional tip and get some very decent grub. I can get a pass into town occasionally. 

I hear all leaves have been stopped up the line, still that is nothing fresh.  I got rid of the Game all right.  I bought some special soap in town and had a good bath with it.  No, I don't want anything in the clothes line at present but I'll let you know as soon as I do; only in my parcel please send me some three Nuns tobacco and matches.  Billie will no doubt dispose of the contents of my parcel that reach him.  I am quite all right and shall not mind going up the line anytime.  You must not worry about us and get knocked up.  I hope you are quite better now.  If we are staying here long I'm writing up for leave. 

Love to all at home John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment