Friday 10 July 2015

Billie - 9th July 1915

Dear Mater,

Many thanks for parcel received on the 7th.  The potted herrings were grand.  Sorry to hear you were not up to the mark but hope by now that you are quite well.  We are still at the same place and I don't know when we will go back to the trenches.  We are training very hard now to get some of the stiffness of the trench life off us.  We've been up at 4 a.m. three mornings this week and not got back until 2 p.m. and I can tell you we had had enough and were just about famished as we got nothing to eat. 

We were inspected by Lord Kitchener, Prince of Wales and a few other knuts.  It was rather a long job but we did not mind the waiting as it was a fine day.  We will be out on manoeuvres all tomorrow night. 

Kindly thank Aunt Eliza for her P.O. - yes we can get them changed and thank Jennie for her letter.  Have you received all my letters as I've written a lot lately 4 home in the last 7 days so hope you have got them?  You might try and guess where we are and I'll tell you if you're right.  We are about 8 miles behind the firing line so we have got rid of the guns for a bit, so our nerves are getting a rest. 
How is John getting on, I've not heard from him for sometime?  We have a fine time at this Frenchman's.  Bunny and I have been to dinner a few times and we get a good bust up.  I'm in his place now writing this and Bunny is jawing away to him.  We are just going to have a cup of coffee and jolly fine it is. 

Well I think this is all the news so must close.  Hoping Mother, Father and all at home are well also all the aunts as it leaves me in the pink.  Send me a shirt by return as I have just got a bit of one wrapped round me. 

Love Billie. 

P.S. I forgot to tell Jess about Blighty.  Well it is like this.  When a man is wounded his name is entered on a form and there are three forms it could be entered on:

* A is too dangerous to be moved. 
* B is for England - hence Blighty. 
* C is to be kept in France. 

Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment