Thursday 23 July 2015

Billie - Friday 23rd July 1915

Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for the letter received last night.  I was pleased to hear that Mother was a little better and hope she is up and out.  She ought to go away for a holiday it would do her good.  Father should have had a few day's rest.  I hope our Joe will be sent back to make munitions.  I was sorry to hear that Mrs Huggins had no word of Jack and I'm afraid it is all up with him or she would have heard of him before now, also to hear of Dr Dickinson's son. 

John seems to be having a good time of it down at the base; he would be pleased to meet all the chaps from home.  You can tell whoever told you that we were most likely to go to India that it is all rot.  We get rumours every day in fact every hour about going to India, the Dardanelles, England &c, but you can take this from me we are here until the end of the war whichever way it goes. 

It is like the rumour that we were working in the harvest fields road-making &c while all the time we were on our way to one of the worst parts of the line.  We had an awful time in the trenches last night, in fact ever since we came in.  It rained nearly all day yesterday and last night it came down in torrents.  I was on sentry from 11 to 1 and 1 to 3 and got soaked and the trench was over the boot tops in water and mud.  It was about the worst time we have ever had. 

They have been shelling us pretty heavily today all day but am pleased to say nothing worth speaking of happened.  Remember me to all my friends and the aunts and all the girls.  Tell them I often think of them but cannot write to them all.  Well I think this is all for the present so must close now. 

Hoping Mother is much better and all are well at home as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

P.S. Oh don't send me any more Nestle's milk, cocoa or Oxo until I let you know.  We cannot cook anything in these trenches and we have had an issue of Nestles, but you can still send tinned fruit and teacakes.  I wrote to Father this morning so he will give you all the news. 

Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment