Friday 10 July 2015

Billie - 10th July 1915

Dear Jess,

Many thanks for the parcel which I received this morning.  Sorry to hear mater is not well and hope by now she is much better. 

The shirts arrived and will be quite a change for me tomorrow (Sunday) when I put it on, considering that all that was left of my other one I had to fasten together as best I could.  However we cannot help these little things, also the socks have come in jolly handy as I was wanting a pair. 

You'll be pleased to hear that we are still at the same place although rumour has it that we move on Monday but hope we are staying longer.  Many thanks for the photos they are great.  I've just been in for a coffee at the Frenchman's and they all think they are "tres bon".  You are quite right in your guess where we are (La Bassee) a few miles behind the firing line and whilst here we are having some very heavy training sometimes out from 4 am till 2 p.m. without anything to eat. 

Pleased to say all the grub arrived safely, and the tomatoes were a treat.  I'm surprised to hear you've got another cat.  Well I think this is all at present.  Hoping all are well.  Leaves have started again but they are sending less now.  Please send me some more envelopes.  Ask Father to thank J. Mayne for fags, it was very good of him. 

Love to all Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment