Thursday 5 November 2015

John - Friday 5th November 1915

Dear Thompson,

I think I owe you a letter.  I've intended writing sooner, but time passes so quickly. 

Well, things are going on much the same here.  We are in a muddy place every day, but we are getting used to it.  I think they will issue us with new boots soon, so we hang on till they come.  I am sick of staying all day in wet socks.  I always put on a dry pair when I get back to the barn. 

The Canadians are jolly decent chaps to get on-with and we have a fine time when out working with them.  I had a good dinner from one of them the other day and it absolutely saved me as I was nearly frozen.  I must be getting hardened, as I've not felt any ill effects of the bad weather yet.  We have a new Company Officer who is an old St Bees boy.  He knows heaps of chaps I know so we get on all right together.  I hope you are keeping well. 

Love to Janey and yourself, John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment