Sunday 15 November 2015

Joe - Monday 15th November 1915

Dear Jess,

I received the parcel safely and I thank Sarah and you for same.  I will write to Sarah soon, also to Mrs Mayne it was a very nice cake she sent me.  You need not send any more bread as we get plenty, and it's only taking up the weight.  Our post did not come yesterday so we got our parcels today. We have had grand weather for the last day or two, hard frosts, and I hope it remains so for a few months.  I have had a few wettings - chiefly wet feet and that's the worst trouble.  We have got leather waistcoats instead of fur coats and I prefer the waistcoats. 

I sent a letter to Catherine Street and I will write to all the aunts in turn.  Sarah asked me if I received Jennie's comic papers; well I have had the W. News, London Opinion and Pearson's Weekly but no comics yet. 

No doubt you would hear about a chap called Denver being shot through the head.  I think he is slowly improving.  He used to be a good Rugby player, he was in No 2 Platoon and belonged to Whitehaven. 

I have seen the rings like Billie made and I'm going to get one.  You can buy them nicely engraved for 2 francs. 

Hope Father is feeling better; he works too hard.  Well I've no more news at present.  I could do with some more writing paper.  Hoping all at home are well. 

Your loving brother Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment