Saturday 14 November 2015

Billie - Sunday 14th November 1915

Dear Jess,

Just a line to let you know I am still all right and going on fine.  We are still out of the trenches but having a rotten time of it.  We are out working wet or fine, all day long, it does not matter what sort of weather it is, and the rotten part about it is, it is not work that is any use -, it is all work that is not going to do any good.  We would not mind necessary work, but when it is work just to give us something to do, well it is time we gave up this war and let the Germans be the winners!  We do not seem to be doing much good on any front just lately, I think they seem afraid to tackle anything since the last mess up, or victory they do call it. 

We have been working all day today on the transport field bricking the floor and you never saw such a mess in all your life working almost up to our knees in mud and water.  Of course the transport men are too hard worked for them to do this, so they push the job on to the Infantry.  Today has just been about the limit, pouring with rain and wild enough to nearly blow us away.  We did not half feel fed up working under these conditions.  However in spite of all this we are all cheerful, but all think the heads might give us a little consideration, when we are out for our eight days' rest. 

We have got a good fire going in the barn, so we are all busy trying to get our clothes dry.  The weather is awfully cold and our goatskin coats have just come in time.  I had letters from John and Joe and they are well.  You might tell them I will write as soon as they give us a little time to ourselves.  I'm pleased to hear all are well.  Well I think this is all at present hoping all at home are well also all the aunts, uncles and cousins. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

I've received all my parcels but some of my letters have gone astray.  I've received one from Sarah in a fortnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment