Saturday 28 November 2015

Billie - Sunday 28th November 1915

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for letter received a few days ago. We are out of the trenches again (and in the trenches again shortly).  We are in the village on Fonequevilliers which is just at the bottom of the communication trench.  We are having a much easier time at present, and we are all quite enjoying it.  Our section is in a jolly decent cellar and we have got good beds made of wire netting and a decent fire place that we have put in, so you will see we have done ourselves well these last few days, and have been living a bit. 

You ought to see me making boiled suet puddings and I can tell you they are great.  The first one I made we rolled and put in a cloth, but it fairly took us a long time as it was so soft, and had too much water mixed in with it.  This is how we make them.  I started it and caused quite a sensation with they way it turned out.  We use any old crusts and soak them in water.  Then we chop them up fine, and mix suet or dripping, just depends which we can pinch from the cooks.  Then we squeeze out as much water as we can and spread it out on the cloth.  We now smear it with jam, and then comes the job of rolling.  After this is completed and we have got it tied up, we put in in a tin of water until the morning and whoever happens to be off parade puts it on the fire (in the old pan we found) and lets it boil for a couple of hours, when we serve it up after the beastly pontoon the army issue, and I can tell you we fairly do enjoy it.  Of course the first one I made was a bit of a job, but I can do them all right now, and they turn out fine. 

We have an awful job getting fuel for the fire, as we have very little coke or coal issued, so we go about knocking bits of wood off houses that have been blown down, but we have to be very careful the heads do not catch us as the engineers want all the wood, but I can tell you, they would have to get up early to catch us.  We were out working with the R.E. today and we got their saw and got a lot of jolly fine dry wood.  It is everybody for themselves out here.  Bunny is just busy making some more porridge for supper, and we don't half look forward to this.  We can buy Q. Oats here - 5d. a packet at the canteen run by the Chaplain.  They sell lots of useful things here now, so we are better off now.  One of the most valuable things out here is sugar, as we cannot buy it anywhere. 

We will be sorry when we have to leave our cellars and go into the trenches on Friday.  After that we go into a village 2 miles behind the line - Bayencourt is the name.  Then the next spell out after that we will spend at the Chateaux La Huie which is situated half way between Fonquevillers and Bayoncourt.  I don't think there is much chance of us being relieved for some time yet. 

The RIR have moved from here but we have the Manchester City Battn going in with us the next time for instruction, you see we are old sweaters and have to teach the new ones how to go on, and I can tell you, we teach them more in a day than they learnt in England during the 12 months training.  We never had anything like the instruction they get.  We had to find out for ourselves and it cost us a few of our best chaps.  Things are very lively round this quarter just lately and both sides are fairly throwing some heavy shells about, both day and night alike.  I'm afraid there is not much chance of getting a photograph though as there are no photographers for miles back, and no one is allowed a camera amongst the men.  Of course officers manage to keep theirs, but they are not supposed to.  One of our chaps has a camera, but no one knows, and Bunny and I are both going to ask him if he will take our photos next time in the trenches. 

We have had very cold weather the last few days and a fall of snow 2 days ago and I should not be surprised if we have a heavy fall tonight.  We have to break the ice to get a wash in the mornings and our water carts have been frozen all day today.  The corks have been frozen in our water bottles several times today, so you can guess how keen it is. 

I wrote to John and Joe the other day.  Fancy Joe being at Ploegsteert where we were after we left Messines.  I expect they will be in the trenches that we occupied.  Just ask him if they go right through the centre of the wood, and if he has seen the grave yards of the different regiments that have been there, also if he has seen that one where 20 Germans are buried all in one. 

If I could only get home on leave I could fairly tell you some tales, but I suppose I will have to wait patiently till my turn comes round, there is one thing I have it to look forward to.  I am sending this to England by the chap who took our John's place as section commander when John left us, or I would not be able to write all these names &c.  I hope all are well at home also all the aunts, uncles and cousins. 

Must close now as the porridge is ready - and then off to the land of dreams.  I've dreamt more than once that I was back at home.  I suppose it is with us all talking of leaves.  Kindly remember me to Mr Ray and family, I hope he is in the best of health. 

There has been a terrific bombardment going on just on our left, so I suppose some poor beggars are going through it.  We have made up our minds not to take any more prisoners, after what we have seen, and their blood be on their own heads, if they fall into our hands.  I would not trust one as far as I can see.  They are the biggest scoundrels ever born, all of them. 

Well cheer oh.  I suppose we will be home for good soon.  So good night all. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment