Monday 23 November 2015

Joe - Tuesday 23rd November 1915

"PALS"

Dear Mother,

I received the parcel on Sunday and everything arrived in good condition. 

We came out of the trenches yesterday, so we have 6 day's rest.  I had a letter from Billie and he seems to be having a pretty rough time.  Nearly all regiments are having to work hard on account of so much water in the trenches.  Our trenches had a good deal of water in, but we've had a spell of frost so the ground is drying up fine. 

I got Thompson's and Janey's letter, and was sorry to hear you had been ill again and trust you will soon be better.  I've written to Mrs Mayne thanking her for the cake, and I had a very nice letter from Mr Nelson. 

John wanted me to go to a place called Bailleul about 8 miles from our present position, but if he is only 5 miles from here I needn't walk 16!  The roads here are rotten for walking and it wouldn't be worthwhile having to get a pass for a day and have to walk 16 miles, but I will try and arrange for us to meet nearer. 

You needn't send any more bread, although a little brown loaf would be acceptable.  Syd is getting on all right.  Our Billie should be getting a rest or leave soon, because on of our Company Commanders read an order out that we were going for a rest after being in the trenches twice more and then, after having a rest, leave would start.  Of course we'll believe this last bit when it really comes off. 

Well I hope all at home are well and that you will soon be better. 

Love to all Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment