Thursday 12 November 2015

Billie - Friday 12th November 1915

Dear Sarah,

Very many thanks for parcel and letter received tonight.  The padded coat is great and will be fine, I ought not to be cold now with that and we have had cardigan jackets and fur coats.  You would think we were off on a Polar Expedition.  I've got a beauty and it is warm.  You would not half laugh if you saw us, it is a sight worth seeing.  Talk about looking fat - it is not in it. 

We are glad to be out of the trenches.  We've had rotten weather, since we came out.  We have been kept very busy while out; they don't seem to think we need any rest.  We have been out all day stone breaking and bricking the transport field, and tomorrow we are off to some woods a few miles back to do some work there.  There is a rumour that we are to go a few miles back after this eight days for a month's rest, but we have not much hope of it. 

Please thank Janey for her parcel - it was great, especially the meat.  I will try the chutney - it will be very handy.  I've had letters from John and Joe and they seem all right. 

You just ought to see us, it is a sight for the gods - a large lofty barn and all the chaps sitting round a brazier made out of a biscuit tine, with a few logs on, and all singing, with a few candles for illumination.  It is not half a picture!  We have had some fine woollen gloves issued, so I will keep the ones I had sent from home in reserve. 

I was pleased to hear all are well, and that Aunt Joan is getting better.  Well I've given you all the news, and will write you tomorrow if I get time.  The weather is very cold and lots of the chaps hae had to go into hospital.  I suppose you are still as busy as ever. 

Hoping you all are well, as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment