Thursday 3 September 2015

John - Friday 3rd September 1915

Dear All,

I have intended writing a letter for general consumption for some time but have not had an opportunity.  Today, thanks to the rain, I am able to write a few letters.  I said, thanks to the rain, but I am afraid those were not my sentiments during the night.  Our hut is more or less waterproof - more than less thank goodness.  The majority of places were flooded out during the night and the only inconvenience we had to put up with was a drop of rain on our faces occasionally.  We are going to put clay all round the sides of our hut when it gets fine again.  It was fine sport building it; all the time we were at work one of our chaps kept saying "They built themselves huts of twigs, being unskilled in the use of metals and they were called the Ancient Britons".  I cannot quite see how the Ancient Britons managed to keep out the rain without the use of waterproof sheets; why even with their aid our hut rains in - I suppose that is why "The child is the father of the man" or some other such saying. 

I suppose you have heard of my meeting with Jem Goodall, he wished to be remembered to all.  He was coming down last night but for some very good reason all passes were stopped.  We are also confined to our wood for the same reason. 

I think I am the only optimist in our family.  Our Billie thinks the war will never be over but where he is would give anyone the blues; they have to spend their time pumping water out of the trenches.  I am looking forward to being home by Christmas, and I firmly believe the war will be over sooner than most people think.  Of course we are going to win, but that march into Berlin has to be abandoned.  The German gains in Russia will be a "White Elephant" to them if they have to hold them during the winter. 

Now cheer up everybody and get ready for us all coming back home.  I am coming back I feel certain - the German's had their opportunity on my birthday and my usual luck prevailed.  I am satisfied with the souvenir I have now, and I am not collecting any more. 

I suppose Alfred will be looking forward to his army life.  He is a good example to some others, but I am afraid nothing short of compulsion will make some of them buck up.  I hope he likes his new work, it will be a bit rough at first but he might be lucky enough to get among a nice lot of chaps.  He must look well after his property, you see we know the R.A.M.C. (Rob All My Comrades) and they know how to look after themselves. 

I must close now, it is almost dark already - more candles needed for tonight.  It looks like being a wet night, I am afraid some chaps will have to swim for it if much more rain comes. 

Hoping all are well. 

With best wishes to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment