Wednesday 9 September 2015

John - Thursday 9th September 1915

Dear Janey,

I am enclosing a piece of lace similar to what I sent Billie.  It is all I can get at present so you must divide it; there are 4 metres.  It is not expensive stuff but just nice for a souvenir.  There is plenty of very expensive stuff round here, one of our officers gave 23 francs a metre for some the other day.  It was beautiful but too expensive for me.  This is just 1 1/2 francs a metre. 

Please send me some more pipe filters and 2 ozs "Three Nuns".  I've had a nice time so far this week.  I am orderly sergeant and I have to stay in camp in case I am needed.  It is a fine job and the weather is glorious so I'm having an easy time.  Thanks for your letters and papers.  I received the "News, London Opinion, Sunday Pictorial and Sunday Herald".  It is quite true what our Billie said but you see they have to be very strict out here.  You need not worry there is no fear of any of us being treated like that. 

I'm so sorry I can't get Billie a cape like mine.  I paid 20 francs for mine and it is well worth it.  Perhaps if you wrote to Cousin Joe, he could get one seeing he is in the Cavalry Regiment.  I've just had some news I don't know whether to tell you or not.  The Adjutant just called me now and told me to write out another application for leave; he says he thinks he can get it through but is not certain.  Of course I have written for it and now I must wait and see if anything comes of it. 

I shall not send the lace just yet, I shall keep it to see if anything comes of my leave.  If it comes through I might get home at the beginning of next week.  Of course I shall not be able to let you know if I am coming, you must just wait and if I get across I shall wire as soon as possible.  I would rather wait until Billie's week's holiday but I must take it if it comes. 

I must close now, don't build Mother up to much on my coming; it might not come through.  I shall believe it when I see it. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment