Sunday 27 September 2015

John - Monday 27th September 1915

Dear Janey,

Thanks very much for your letter which came yesterday.  I suppose by the time this reaches you, you will know the good news, if not you must wait until it is published.  I think you will have something more cheerful to read about than you have ever read before.  Of course we don't know the real facts of the case, but I think we have had the greatest victory of the war.  We heard it quite a way, but I think it was a good way from here.  Anyhow you can all cheer up, we shall all be home before Christmas I feel sure now. 

By the way if you happen to come across a small French book with Billie's name in it you might send it on to me.  I think I left it at home. 

Well I am quite settled down now to the life and I have already got a few companions again.  It is not much use getting rid of them.  They only come as quickly as ever.  We have been on piecework all last week and in consequence are finished at dinnertime.  It has made the days heaps longer now than formerly.  We had some more Sports today and we are going out to have dinner as usual. 

I hope Joe has not come out yet.  The weather was very bad yesterday but it is lovely today and it looks more settled now.  I have got a 7511 shell case engraved to send home as soon as some of my pals go on leave, so shall try to get something for every body before I come home again. 

I must close now - oh by the way everyone likes the apple cake.  It was lovely. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment