Friday 11 September 2015

Billie - Saturday 11th September 1915

Dear Mother,

Very many thanks for the parcel which arrived all safe and sound in spite of the fact that it had arrived damaged at the home depot.  They parcelled it up there and sent it on and the only thing that had been damaged was the tomatoes, which arrived a bit squashed.  You might send me another pair of socks on, I received this pair all right.  Also please send me a money belt as soon as you can, also some more candles, as we have not had any issued for ages, and now the nights are so long you need them more.  I was pleased to hear all were well at home.  I suppose Joe will have got his leave now.  I had a letter from John a few days ago he has evidently not gone on leave yet. 

These trenches are alive with rats as big as cats, besides the usual trench vermin.  Sorry to hear about May Cousins, hope she is improving.  I suppose they have not heard any more of Jack.  I am afraid it is a bad job with him. 

We are being relieved today by our 7th Batt. and going in the village for 4 days - it is just at the top of the communication trench where we will I suppose go in for another 4 days.  We have had the 37th Division in with us for instruction.  Amongst them are the Stock Exchange lot and we have the Bedfords in with us.  I have been on listening patrol every night and have had some of these chaps out with us.  We have had plenty of aerial torpedoes over us and they are rotten things I can tell you. 

Well I think 1 have given you all the news up to the present so must close, hoping all are well, as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving son Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment