Tuesday 29 September 2015

Joe - Wednesday 29th September 1915

Dear Mother,

We landed back all safe and sound; the 5th Borders are somewhere near here.  I sent you a card as soon as we landed in France.  The Fire Zone is pretty close to our billets.  We expect to go in the reserve trenches either to relieve the ---- or Buffs.  The chaps are all merry and bright. 

We had a lovely passage over; it was a treat, it was as calm as could be.  We can see lights thrown up in front of the trenches, but it's one of the quietest parts of the British line.  We are billeted in houses, the people have deserted the houses we are in, but there are plenty of people in the town. 

I will write to John soon. 

We came here in Motor Transport and we were not sorry, it was better than walking.  Our first night we slept in a barn and we were jolly glad to get into it, we were only about 10 miles off where John is stationed, but we were moved yesterday into the billets we are in at present. 

Syd said you had to tell Mrs Graham all the news and that he would write soon. 

The people here are all right, they do not charge outrageous prices.  Cigarettes are cheaper than in England but chocolate is very dear.  We have heard we go in the trenches tonight, but I don't know for sure. 

I got the parcel on Sunday, just in time, before we left and everything was A1.  I have plenty of money to be going on with and we are getting fed all right so we can't complain.  Give my address to Mrs Wilkinson for Frank.  I forgot to give him it in my last letter from Aldershot. 

Well, I have no more news at present. 

I remain your loving son Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment