Tuesday 1 September 2015

Billie - Wednesday 1st September 1915

Dear Janey,

Just a line to let you know we are still out of the trenches.  We are a few miles behind the line having about a average of 8 hours a day digging, drilling and manoeuvres.  Today we have marched about 3 miles towards the firing line, and we are in a large wood engaged on the felling and making hurdles for the trenches.  This is a soft job and is quite a treat after a few days on the parade ground. 

I heard yesterday that they were starting to send a larger number of men on leave very shortly and that every man would have his leave before Christmas, but I do not know if this is correct or not.  At any rate we all hope SO. 

When are you moving into Cyprus Villa?  I hope you have to go to Carlisle.  Kindly remember me to Mr Ray - I suppose he will be able to get out a bit now the weather is fine.  Oh before I forget, do not send any more pocket stoves until I let you know as I have two left yet and I will not need them until we go in the trenches.  Also do not send me any more sherbet, but you can still occasionally put in a tin of health salts.  You might get me a khaki money belt, just a plain one made out of cloth with pockets in - not a leather one. 

I was pleased to hear you sent a box of flowers to Peckham, they would be delighted with them.  I only wish I could slip over and see the garden.  I am pleased to hear Mother is so much better. 

In future our address is just 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, B.E.F. France.  This is a Brigade order and they reckon that now we are fairly established our correspondence gets through much quicker, and I think this must be so, as I've not had a letter for a week, and I know you have all written as usual.  Of course I have received my parcels, so that is not so bad. 

I hope Jennie and her mother had a nice time at Windermere.  I hope all are quite well as this leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

We are anxiously waiting for the big advance so that we can get this job over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment