Saturday 19 September 2015

Billie - Sunday 19th September 1915

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for the parcel sent from Coopers also the parcel from home.  I received them today.  All the articles from Coopers were in.  The knitted goods were fine in today's parcel. 

We are out of the trenches again for another 4 days and by today's programme we are in for some jolly stiff work.  We came out of trenches last night and today we had a 14-mile march in full pack, and it was to hot for words.  However we got through it all right but I can tell you there were some sore feet when we got back and tomorrow I think we have 10 miles march for fumigation and baths. 

Last time our Batt. was in the trenches we were in reserve and the first day we lived I dug-outs 100 yards behind the front line, but we were moved the next day about 200 yards further back, so we managed to get in a cellar of a house at the bottom of the communication trench.  It was rather funny living in this place but was a treat to the dug-outs.  We had beds rigged up with wire netting and I can tell you they were jolly comfortable, but the only thing it was alive with rats and a bit stuffy.  However we are quite used to rats running across our faces in the night now and our dog helps to keep them away. 

We had a very exciting time of it in the last 4 days as the Germans had been massing troops in front of us and they fully expected an attack on our trenches but as usual nothing doing, but sooner or later it will come, and if they do not try it, we will have to drive them out of it.  We had everything ready for them and they would fairly have caught it and no mistake, as we had heaps of men and guns behind us. 

I was astonished to hear our John had got a leave and was at home and I was pleased he would be able to give our Joe a few tips on how to go on.  I was pleased to hear Joe looked so well, it is evidently agreeing with him.  I guess Gus and Jack would be pleased to have them home and would look on them as heroes. 

I am afraid there is very little chance of me getting a leave when there are only 2 men out of a Company every week and they go by the amount of service, and chaps that are going now have done five years s you may guess when mine will come, when you consider that our leaves are stopped every few days.  However I suppose that if we wait long enough we shall all get a leave but not before this Christmas and we will do well if we get it by next.  There is no doubt about it that it is not a matter of weeks before this job is over, but if it is over before next summer we will have finished it off very quickly. 

Well I think I've no more news.  Pleased to hear Mother is keeping well once more and that Father and all at home are well.  Please thank Sarah for the white heather and chewing gum which came in jolly handy.  Also thank Jennie and Ton for their letters received today.  I will try and answer them as soon as I get time, but as we are at present we are not allowed time enough for letter writing. 

You need not send any more insect powder yet.  I will let you know as soon as I need some more.  We are in a barn about 3 miles behind the line, but we have at last had our blankets issued again so we can have a warm sleep. 

Remember me to Mr Ray - tell Thompson not to overwork himself.  I really must close as all the chaps are down and the order is lights out and we are early in the morning.  So hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink but very tired. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment