Sunday 6 September 2015

Billie - Monday 6th September 1915

Dear Jess,

Just a line in with your other letter.  I was unable to get it off before.  You will no doubt have received two post cards of the village we were in, the last time we were in the trenches.  The photograph of the church is great.  Just before we went in the trenches our house was about 6 yards from it and the vicarage - what was left of it - we pulled down (all the woodwork) to repair the trenches when we came out, and found all in ruins.  I got one of the chaps who was going on leave to post them for me as we are not allowed to send them from here.  They will give you an idea of the state the village was in when nearly all the houses were in this state.  We are in the trenches again on the left of where we were last time.  We came in this morning and had a grand reception with aerial torpedoes and a new sort of shell and shrapnel. 

Well I must close, hoping all are well. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

7th September 1915

You can send me a muffler on now as soon as you like, as the nights are very cold now we are in the trenches again.  Thank Sarah for her letters.  Also please send me some more pocket stoves as I used two out of the three I had this morning making cocoa and I can tell you we all thought it was great.  I will try and get those rings sent through. 

Well I really must close this time.  Remember me to all aunts, cousins and friends, hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment