Wednesday 1 June 2016

Billie - Thursday 1st June 1916

Dear Mater and Jess,

Very many thanks for letter and parcels received during the last few days.  I was very pleased to hear Mother is down staying with you for a time, as I'm sure the change will do her good. 

Well we are out of the trenches, but doing a lot of marching and yesterday we marched nearer the line and bivouacked out all night and today we go a little nearer to do some digging, but with a bit of luck we shall go right back again in a few days.  You will be pleased to hear we won the football cup with 17 goals for and none against us.  The officers gave us a fine time.  The weather is glorious, it is too hot for words when we are on the march.  However, lately we have got over the worst of the marching before dinner so it has been much better. 

I was pleased to hear that Janey and all at home are well and hope it will not be long before I am home to see you.  Kindly remember me to John and all at Woodside, also thank Janey for her lovely parcel and Thompson for the fags and chocolate.  I wrote to Joe the other day.  I was sorry to hear he is having such a rough time.  I hope it will not be long before they move from that quarter.  Oh if you like Jess, you can send me the New Magazine monthly instead of a weekly paper.  Sarah seems to be having a busy time but I should think she enjoys that sort of work.  I must write to her as soon as I've time. 

Well I think this is all the news so must close.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink.  Cheer oh. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment