Wednesday 8 June 2016

Billie - Thursday 8th June 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for letter also thank Mater for her parcel received in splendid condition three days ago.  You will no doubt be surprised to hear we are back in the line again, but only for a few days, but we are having it pretty rough what with the weather being so bad and practically no rations so you may bet we will not be sorry when we are out of this again, and back behind somewhere training again. 

I was very pleased to hear Mater was down at Liverpool, also that Father had managed to get a few days in Liverpool so I am sure the change will do him good after the way he is having to work.  I was pleased to hear Sarah was getting on all right, and I feel sure she will do well at her new work.  I cannot tell you how pleased I was to hear Thompson had got an extension so it will give you more time to get used to the business and you might be feeling much better by that time, as least I hope so. 

I had a letter from John tonight and he seems to be in the pink and still having a good time of it.  You say in your letter that he expects to come out again this week, but in his letter he says he will be a few weeks, and I only hope he is right as I will be able to see him before he goes out.  I was pleased to hear Syd was down on leave as he would be able to give you all particulars regarding Joe. 

I had a letter from Miller and he says they are in a very rough part of the line, but thinks they will be out of it by now; he also says what a fine big chap Joe is making so he cannot be taking much harm and this life must suit him.  Well you will no doubt be wondering when I am coming on leave, and as near as I can tell you, it will be in about three weeks, as they only seem to send two a week; but they may increase any time.  However I will let you know as soon as I know definitely. 

Well I think this is all the news up to the present, hoping Thompson and yourself are well, also Sarah and all at Liverpool as this leaves me in the pink.  I was very sorry to hear Alex Johnson had gone under and it must be a terrible shock to his people.  Sorry to hear Mater had not been so well, and hoping to hear she is better.  Kindly remember me to Mr Ray.  Oh you might ask Mater to send me some more money as I'm short and we're not getting any for a few weeks, also some Harrison's pomade and some leather bootlaces and a pair of shorter socks.  Cheer oh, hope to see you soon. 

Love to all Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment