Friday 24 June 2016

Billie - Saturday 24th June 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for letter also for parcel containing the money.  Also thank Aunt and Jennie for their share and thank Sarah for the parcel she sent from Liverpool which I received in splendid condition. 

We moved from our little town yesterday, and came nearer the line and I should think we'll be here 5 or 6 days.  The weather is dead rotten pouring with rain.  I hope it will soon take up.  You will no doubt be surprised to hear I'm in charge of a gun team now - what! what!  We were all very sorry to leave the place we were in resting, as the people were very good to us, and when we were coming away yesterday, they were all up to see us off, although we moved pretty early and nearly all were weeping as they think such a lot of us there. 

I was very pleased to hear Joe is, or was, out of the trenches again, but I suppose they are on the same game as we are.  They have sent another 2 on leave and another chap has gone sick so I'm 5th, so after this little lot I should come straight away, if they keep on with them. 

Well I think this is all the news up to the present so must close.  Cheer oh, and do not worry I will let you know how we are going on but of course there may be no post while this little lot is going on, so do not worry about me if you get no letter.  At any rate I will try and send Field cards to let you know how I'm going on.  Hoping all are well at home as this leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment