Saturday 11 June 2016

Joe - Sunday 11th June 1916

Dear Jessie,

I received your parcel all right and thanks for same.  I am sorry I have not answered before, but I really have not had the time as we are kept hard at training from morning until night.  I expect Mother and Father have a nice time in Liverpool.  You wouldn't see Syd, he will be back anytime now. 

You would be sorry to hear about Bob Skinner and Alec Johnson being killed; Whitehaven has been hit hard lately.  I had a letter from John yesterday; he thinks he may be a month or two yet in England.  We are having very changeable weather, plenty of rain and we've been out route marching and training rain or fine.  I think Billie is having a better time on his rest than we are, I'd just as soon be in the trenches. 

I wrote to Jennie and May and enclosed a pansy in each, but it appears Jennie hasn't got hers and I sent it off first.  I am pleased to her that Thompson has got exemption till September.  I suppose John is as busy as ever, he does not seem to get much time to himself.  The photograph is a very good one.  I've just received the paper from Jennie and she has received my letter.  Well I must close, remember me to John. 

I remain your affectionate brother Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment