Friday 3 June 2016

Billie - Saturday 3rd June 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for the letter received last week also for the ripping parcel which we quite enjoyed. 

You will no doubt be wondering why I have not written just lately, but the fact of the matter is, we have been on the move, and have tramped miles all over the place and have finished up just behind the line again.  We have been here 2 or 3 days now and have had to do a lot of heavy digging all night up in the line and carry on our day parades &c as usual so you will see we have caught it pretty rough.  We go in the line again in 2 days time and then after that spell, we move back again for training.  You see they have so many troops out here now that they can give us spells out now. 

The weather up to last night has been glorious, almost too hot, but changed last night with a lot of rain and very cold.  You would no doubt see in the papers that our Regiment, in fact our Battalion has been mentioned in despatches for good work during the Winter, so we are coming on "What"! 

I was very pleased to hear Thompson has appealed and I feel sure they must give him a month or two, to get you in the way of things.  Oh before I forget you might tell Mater to send me some writing paper and a pair of thinner socks than usual as the thick ones are too heavy now the weather in warm.  \I suppose Mater is having a decent time at Liverpool, and I feel sure the change will do her good, besides being good company for Jess.  You will hardly know what to do with yourself. 

Well you will be, pleased to know I am 9th on the leave list so I.should not be long now.  How are you all keeping now?  I suppose Father is still working as hard as ever, and will no doubt feel ready for a rest, a good holiday is what would do him good.  I am glad to know that you are feeling better also that Thompson and his Pater are well.  Kindly thank Jess for her photo, I think it's splendid; also thank my cousins for their photos.  I've not had one from John yet. 

Is Joe out of the line again?  I suppose he will be as they seem too be working at the same rate as we are all along the line.  Well I think this is all the news up to the present.  I wrote to Sarah this morning so I hope she receives it.  Well I think this is all the news, hoping all are well as this leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment