Saturday 18 June 2016

Joe - Sunday 18th June 1916

Dear Jess,

I received parcel and thanks for same.  The tomatoes were squashed and one or two were the week before.  I sent the card that Coopers enclosed and the same the parcel was damaged some of the envelopes were spoilt as well.  I wrote to Janey yesterday so she will be sending my letter on. 

20th June 1916

Well we are on the move again further to the south of France.  We are a good distance on the right of where Billie will be.  We have had rather warmed weather lately, but it is not like Summer.  We are in a fairly decent sized place, billeted in empty houses. 

It seems rather queer that John should be relieved by an officer of the same name, or pretty nearly the same.  I was pleased to hear Mother was still at Liverpool having a good time; the change will do her good.  I received the cards Mother sent.  Syd seems to have had a good time on leave, he would have liked to have seen you all.  John seems to be kept busy.  I heard that women were going to start working at Lowca on shells. 

It was sad about Bob Skinner and Alec Johnson.  I thought Bob would have pulled through all right although I think his wound was more serious than at first thought. 

We might not be able to get our letters away for a day or two as we are on the move.  Well I must close with love to all.  Hoping this finds you all well. 

I remain, Your loving brother Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment