Sunday 26 June 2016

Billie - Monday 26th June 1916

Dear Jess,

Very many thanks for Sarah's parcel which I received in splendid condition a few days ago. 

You will be pleased to know we are out of the trenches and these last few days we've had a grand time and the weather has been great - scorching hot - and have practically nothing to do and no parades, we have quite enjoyed it.  We moved up here - just behind the line two days ago. 

I was very pleased to hear Mater was still down with you and having a good time of it.  Tell her to stay a week or two longer as I will not be home on leave for a week or two yet at least, but I will let you know as soon as I know for certain.  I was very pleased to hear Joe is out of the line and I bet he was pleased to get out of that little lot.  Glad to hear Janey is keeping better, also Sarah - she is not half doing some moving and by all accounts is doing jolly well.  I suppose Pater will still be working as hard as ever, and must be feeling ready for a decent holiday.  I had a letter from our John a few weeks ago, he is having to work a bit harder, but he cannot grumble as he had a good spell of nothing to do much. 

Oh the football team was invited to a dinner by the Colonel and officers of the Headquarters and we had a fine time of it.  We also had our photos taken, but we could not get our togs to be taken in them.  However we had the cup and that was the chief thing.  Oh Mr Hoskins was asking after our John, and said I had to tell him he was a long time in writing. 

Well I think this is all at present so must close hoping all are well and with kindest regards to all at Woodside &c. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment