Tuesday 10 May 2016

Joe - Wednesday 10th May 1916

Dear Mother,

I received your parcel yesterday and thanks for same.  We came out of the trenches last night and are out for 6 days.  I was sorry to hear Janey has not been well and expect she is better again.  Jess will likely be back at Liverpool and settling down. 

Jim Williamson was accidentally wounded; a chap was cleaning his rifle and he fired a round, wounding Jim in the thigh, but as luck happened it is not very serious, no doubt he will get to England though.  We are having fairly decent weather now and rain now and again, but still we can't complain.  I got Janey's letter the same day as the parcel.  Bert Kelly went on leave today so he will be in Whitehaven shortly.  I wrote to Billie a while since but have had no reply yet.  I was talking with Gilbert Pearson today.  He is just on our right, he is in the 6th Black Watch.  I had a letter from Sarah today from Dumfries; I must write and thank her for the 10/- she sent me.  Well I've no more news at present so must close.  Hoping this finds all well at home. 

I remain, Your loving son Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment