Monday 2 May 2016

Joe - Tuesday 2nd May 1916

Dear Janey,

Thanks for letter and parcels received.  I also received one from Ghyll Bank. 

Well we are back in the trenches again, we are going up to the firing line tomorrow, we have been having a rest in reserves.  I will not be able to write many letters for another 6 days so you will know the reason. 

Thompson will likely be busy.  I hardly think his group will be called up although there is no telling.  I will give Syd a piece of the bride's cake, I got a threepenny piece and a small silver horse show out of the cake so I didn't do bad eh?  Nearly all the chaps in our section drank Jessie's and John's health and I think we all wished there were weddings every day.  You will have to thank Jess for me and I will write to her when she gets settled.  I will have to write to Billie and thank her for her parcel too. 

Leaves have started again but I don't know whether I will be enough to get.  I would like to see Billie get home - he has had a long spell. 

You would likely hear about B. Skinner and all the others.  We had four killed and one wounded the other night so we had rotten luck.  Well I've no more news at present so must close. 

With love to you all.  Your loving brother Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment