Monday 9 May 2016

Billie - Tuesday 9th May 1916

Dear Mater,

Very many thanks for the lovely parcels received last week also for the money I received safely.  Also thank Sarah for the money she sent.  I will write to her as soon as I get time.  Yes the wine arrived in perfect condition. 

Well you will no doubt be pleased to hear that we have really been relieved at last, but up to the present we have not had much rest.  We marched about 5 miles back and had a couple of days' rest and then we came just behind the firing line and we were digging here for 7 hours right of the reel, so you may guess that we were pretty tired when we got back at 3 this morning.  We are bivouacked on top of a hill and the weather is awfully cold, wild and wet - so you may bet we are looking forward to when we move from here.  These bivouacs are a treat and no mistake; they were up when we came and if you get full stretch half the chaps wouldn't get in - if you have your head under the shelter you have your feet out.  However we move from here tomorrow and go off back behind the line some 15 miles or so, so we do not mind putting up with this for the present.  We will not be able to send many letters while we are on the move so do not be alarmed if you do not hear from me for a few days. 

I was sorry to hear that Janey was not better; you want to get her to stay over at home and look after herself.  Pleased to hear the rest are all well.  You won't half have a small family with Jess at Liverpool and Sarah travelling.  You will no doubt be feeling a bit lonely but never mind there are better times in store for all of us.  Tell Jess and Sarah I will write as soon as we get settled down, also I'll write to our John.  Sorry to hear Joe is having such a rough time and I hope they will soon be moved from that quarter.  I hope Thompson is well. 

Well I must close as I want to catch the post.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving son Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment