Friday 13 May 2016

Billie - Saturday 13th May 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for home letters and parcels received a few days ago.  You will no doubt be pleased to learn that we are at last away from the line and are now in a small village situated outside a fairly decent little town and they grant a few passes every day to go into this town so it is not so bad.  I went yesterday and had a good look round and had a jolly good meal - pork, beans and potatoes - quite a change after army rations especially those we have had lately. 

I was awfully sorry to hear you were still not well and hope by this reaches you that you are much better.  At any rate you must take greater care of yourself, it is no use keeping peggin' on; you have a jolly good rest and tell Thompson from me that he must try and get an extension.  I'm sure he ought to when you see the petty things some of them are getting them for.  At any rate you must not worry yourself, it will all come right in the end. 

I was pleased to hear Father and Mother are well, and hope if things go on well too be home with you all in a month's time.  However do not build too much on this as they may stop again any time.  I am sorry to hear Joe was having such a rough time and hope they'll soon move him away from that quarter.  I must write to him in a day or two.  Our brigade has been issued with new rifles and bayonets yesterday.  Kindly remember me to all, hope Mr Ray is keeping better. 

Well I think this is all the news.  Hoping all at home are well, also all aunts and cousins.  Cheer oh. 

Your loving brother Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment