Saturday 14 May 2016

Joe - Sunday 14th May 1916

Dear Mother,

We are still out of the trenches and having a fairly decent time.  I heard yesterday that we are not going back to the trenches we came out, but I think we have to go in once more, then perhaps another little rest, then move to some other part of the line.  I expect my parcel will arrive today and then I'll get this letter away.  Bob Skinner is in England now also Tom Donnan, so I hope they pull through all right. 

I had a letter from Jess, I will write to her in a few days.  They hadn't a long honeymoon.  I think there will be a lot more chaps called up, now that compulsion has come in.  Billie will be ready for a rest and no mistake and it's quite time he got a leave.  I had some good cracks with Gilbert Pearson- he has been out nearly as long as Billie, but he has had a leave.  If you look in the papers you will no doubt often see the place where we are, and just take notice of the different places where mines have been exploded, and then mention a few names and I'll tell you which is right. 

"A" company played some French sappers at football yesterday and we had some fun; the best part of the Frenchmen hardly knew how to kick the ball so our chaps let them score.  We won 5:3 but it was not a matter of goals - it would have been a cricket score if our lads had wished. 

I had a letter from Jennie and some photos, so I will write to her and I will write to Aunt Sallie and thank her for her loaf.  I was going to send a letter with a chap who was going on leave but he got away before I had time to give him it.  Oh I've received a parcel all right and thanks for same.  Well I've no more news at present so must close.  Hoping this finds all at home well. 

With love to all Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment