Thursday 19 May 2016

Billie - Friday 19th May 1916

Dear Mater,

Very many thanks for the lovely parcel received a few days ago, also for the letter received yesterday.  Also thank Aunt Sallie for the lovely cake and fags she sent me. 

Well we are out resting or should I say training and we are having a jolly decent time of it.  We have been playing football a great deal and our team is excused all parades to allow us to do a bit of training so we will be fit, and I can tell you I feel a lot better for it.  We played the 7th Battalion last night and licked them 4:0 so now we stand a very god chance of winning the Brigade Cup.  If we win this, the officers are going to stand us a slap up feed &c so you may guess we are all pretty keen.  The cup we are playing for is a beauty and competition is very keen, and the gates we get are good. 

I was pleased to hear Janey had gone to Roa Island for a few days as I am sure the change would do her a lot of good.  Pleased to hear Father and you are well and hope it will not be long before I come on a visit to see you.  I had a letter from Sarah a day or two and she seems to be having quite a decent time of it although I expect she will have plenty of work, but she always was keen on work and I reckon this will suit her down to the ground.  I also had a letter from Jess and she seems to be having a very busy time and from all accounts she must have a lovely home now. 

The weather now is a treat - if anything it is too hot, but we have a stream here so can have a bathe when we like, so it is not so bad.  I was sorry to hear Joe's lot are having such a rough time and I hope they will soon be out of it.  I think it was the lot that relieved them that relieved us. 

Well I think this is all the news so hoping all are well, as this leaves me in the pink. 

Cheer oh.  Your loving son Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment