Wednesday 3 June 2015

John - Wednesday 2nd June 1915

Dear Sarah,

Now I have some time to myself I am paying off a few debts.  I hope you are keeping all right.  I am pleased to say I am getting on fine.  My wound is healing quickly but I am not allowed out of bed yet.  I shall be knocking about in a day or two, I expect. 

There is no chance of being sent to England; they only send those with broken bones there now.  Still this is a charming place, and as much like home as it is possible to get in France.  The sea comes up quite near and it is just lovely to listen at night.  As soon as I am fit to knock about I shall be sent to the convalescent camp down at the Base (where the 5th Border were stationed).  Then when I am completely better I shall rejoin my Company. 

Has Mrs Huggins heard anything of Jack?  I've made enquiries and they have had Durham Light Infantry in each of the hospitals I've been in, but no one knew the name.  The Bede College chaps fair had a rough time of it; we have not had it half so bad as regards the actual fighting yet we have seen more service here. 

I had to leave half my birthday parcels behind me, but we made a big inroad into them before we went digging.  Still Billie and my pals would dispose of them all right.  He came out of the trench with me.  The chaps all passed me when I was being carried they kept saying "Lucky Beggar I would give a quid for that".  That is how we look at it here; we only see the "rest" side of it.  I only wish all at home would see it in the same light.  I can quite imagine how upset Mother would be, but really there is nothing to be alarmed at.  I'm having the best time since I landed here and I should like Billie and my pals to be as lucky.  We don't see a flesh wound in fact there have been times that almost made me wish you for one. 

Remember me to Millie.  I hope you are both well.  Also give my love to my cousins and thank them for their share of the parcels sent to me. 

Well I must close now. 

Love from your affectionate brother John

No comments:

Post a Comment