Sunday 7 June 2015

John - Monday 7th June 1915

Dear Janey,

Thanks very much for the P.C.  The parcels and letters will likely reach me in due course.  Please send me another razor as the other one will have been received by Billie.  I received the papers from Thompson this morning. 

I am pleased to say that I can get about a little now.  I am going to try to manage a short stroll along the front this afternoon, but of course I am very shaky on my leg yet.  Still I was in such good condition that it healed very quickly at first and of course it is only a matter of time now before it is properly better. 

I had a letter from Billie today and he says they are having a fine time of it training some of Kitchener's army.  He says I should have had another stripe had I been with them another day; still that doesn't matter to me at all.  I'm having a royal time of it; still I shall be pleased to get back to my pals once more.  Billie says I've had heaps of parcels sent to the trenches and so far since I left I have not received anything.  I could do with some tobacco and cigarettes as I had to leave my stock behind.  You need not send bread, butter or milk here; we get everything in that line and it has run even to chickens occasionally. 

I have not received the local papers yet and I should like them as I've heaps of time for reading. 
Sorry to hear of Jack Huggins.  Billie told me about him and it sounds serious. 

I must close as it is post time.  I hope Mother and all are well.  Love to Thompson and yourself. 

Your affectionate brother John 

No comments:

Post a Comment