Sunday 14 June 2015

Billie - Monday 14th June 1915

Dear Jess,

Many thanks for all the good things I've received from home.  We are out of the trenches again and having 4 days' rest, which finishes tomorrow, and then we are going a few miles up the line to a town for 4 days and then we go in the trenches again.  We were roused a 4 this morning and had to pack all our goods &c up and prepare to go into action, but after waiting about 3 hours in full pack, we were dismissed - so we were disappointed.  I cannot tell you why we were dismissed but there might have been a big dust up only we checked it in time. 

We are being inspected this morning by General Fansham, our new Governor, so we are all trying to get all the mud &c off our clothes.  It is fine again today only fairly windy.  I had a letter from John a few days back and he said he had not received any of his letters and I cannot understand it as I readdressed all his letters and I have written twice myself as well as some of the other chaps. 

Well I must close and get my rifle cleaned ready for examination.  Send me a small writing pad on please as soon as you can.  Get Billie (Nixon) to guess where we are now.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment