Tuesday 16 June 2015

Billie - Wednesday 16th June 1915

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for the lovely parcel I received last night before we came here.  It is a treat and will come in jolly handy, as the weather is too hot for anything.  The fruit is great and is a treat.  This is the best stuff to send and the tomatoes are as fresh as though they had just been cut, so we are having them for dinner. 

I'm pleased you saw the cutting about the wood where we are.  Last night we were moved right into the centre of the wood, and we are now in reserve in the dug-outs 60 yards behind the firing line for 4 days when we then go into the front line.  This is a lovely wood, there is honeysuckle all over the place and in full bloom.  It is quite a treat. 

It was a bit rotten coming up last night, as we had a long march and I had a new pair of boots on and it was scorching hot.  However we arrived at our dug-outs at last and they are jolly decent.  There are 11 of us in it so we are all right.  It is called the "Gamblers Den" or the "House of the 11 Knuts".  I am on guard this morning while the others are taking the rations up to the trenches by a communication trench.  It is rather strange to hear the bullets whistling in the air and the birds sitting singing in the trees as though there was nothing the matter. 

I met a chap from Cleater Moor last night - he was in Bristol College and he knows our John well.  His name is Robinson and I had a good long talk with him. 

You will no doubt be pleased to hear that the Terriers are being granted seven days leave in England.  Our Battalion starts tonight 1 man, 1 NCO and 1 officer per company and they are taking them according to the amount of service they have done in the Terriers.  Seeing I just joined when the war broke out, at that rate I will get my turn in about 2 years next Christmas.  Of course they may start to send a few more.  John should stand a good chance when he comes back. 

I quite envy you having lettuces &c out of the garden.  It will be looking A1 now.  How is the apple tree doing this year?  Pleased to hear all are doing well at home.  Kindly thank Aunt Sally for the bread and cakes, we are having them for tea; also remember me to all relatives and friends, also to Mr Bay.  I suppose he will be getting out now in this fine weather. 

Hoping all are well - I'm in the pink. 

Your loving brother Billie

The flies are awful here and raise lumps when they bite you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment